If you do some research on dog food, you will find how incredibly bad it is for dogs. Unfortunately for our pets, nearly all commercially available dog and cat food is made with ingredients considered to be feed-grade instead of human-grade. Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA), Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT), and Ethoxyquin are 3 nasty chemical preservatives. BHA and BHT are chemicals added to oils (fats) as preservatives that can be found in pet foods and treats. Would you eat this? No? Then why are you feeding this to your dog. Keep in mind The vitamins and minerals you seen on the bag is BEFORE processing. They are all but gone after it is cooked, or should I say burned brown. The recipe below can be frozen in serving sizes and thawed out in the fridge when needed, The chia seeds are for Omegas that are so important for dogs
DIY HOMEMADE DOG FOOD
yield: 8 CUPS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 45 MINUTES
total time: 55 MINUTES
- 1 1/2 cups organic brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds organic ground turkey
- 3 cups organic baby spinach, chopped
- 2 organic carrots, shredded
- 1 organic zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup organic peas, canned or frozen
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Chia seeds
- Let cool completely.
- Refrigerate or freeze till needed